Below is a list of, what I think of as, some of the most interesting facts about a bunch of different killers as well as the ‘job’ as a whole. Hope you enjoy…
1. A serial killer is someone who has murdered three or more people over a period of more than a month, with a cooling-off period between murders. The motive is usually based on psychological (often sexual) gratification, though the motives may also include anger, thrill, money, and attention seeking.
2. Many serial killers experienced sexually stressful events in childhood.
3. Jeffrey Dahmer pulled so many weird pranks in high school his classmates dubbed it “doing a Dahmer.”
He later went on to murder 17 young men and boys, cannibalise them, and store them in his apartment. Oh, what a prankster 👀
4. Strangulation and guns are the two most prevalent methods of murder.
5. Dr. Harold Shipman (1946–2004) is regarded as the most prolific serial killer in modern history, with over 250 murders ascribed to him. He was a British doctor who murdered his patients: the oldest was a 93-year-old woman and the youngest was a 41-year-old man. He hanged himself in his cell in 2004, a day before his 58th birthday.
6. Macedonian crime reporter, Vlado Taneski, who wrote stories about a serial killer actually turned out to the serial killer.
I do this for enjoyment and nothing more…
7. America’s first serial killer is considered to be Dr. H.H. Holmes, who confessed to 27 murders in the late 1890s. He claimed that he, “could not help being a murderer, no more than the poet can help the inspiration to sing.”
8. The U.S. had 20x more serial killers than the next most country, England.
As of 2013, America claimed 2320 serial killers compared to England’s 116.
9. The Pig Farmer Killer fashioned a dildo to the barrel of his .22 caliber revolver to act as a makeshift silencer to use on his victims. There we are then…
10. Former FBI Special Agent Robert K. Ressler (1937–2013) is the man credited with coining the term “serial killer” in 1971.
11. Many serial killers will keep “souvenirs” of their crimes. For example, when Ted Bundy was asked why he took Polaroids of his victims, he said, “when you work hard to do something, you don’t want to forget it.”
12. Americas most famous female serial killer, Aileen Wuornos, was an incredible artist who would draw pictures using a blue ball point pen. (Something I neglected to mention in my post about her. How could I not mention this!?)
13. Men constitute the overwhelming proportion of serial killers, at over 90%
14. In almost 15% of serial murder cases, the victims are chosen entirely at random.
15. Historians note that legends such as werewolves and vampires were inspired by medieval serial killers.
16. A Chicago band named Macabre has an entire catalogue of songs devoted to serial killers. The band calls their music “murder metal.”
I honestly think I’d rather be a victim of any of the killers I’ve mentioned so far than have to listen to a single minute of any of their songs, but its kinda cool I think 😊
17. Ted Bundy once saved a child from drowning. 🤷🏻♀️
18. Kansas serial killer, the BTK Killer, installed alarms as a part of his job. Many of his clients had booked the company to stop BTK from ever entering their homes, unaware that BTK himself was installing them.
19. Serial killer and cannibal Richard Chase only broke into houses that were unlocked. If they were locked, he thought it meant he was unwelcome but if they were not he saw it as an invitation to enter. Finally, I don’t feel insane for locking my door every time I come in!
20. Convicted rapist and murderer, Rodney Alcala won a TV Dating game in the 1970s.
Luckily the woman didn’t actually go on the date with him as she found him ‘creepy,’.
Perhaps, just a little bit…